Pediatric Orthodontist in Friendswood, TX, Offers Early Treatment
Compassionate Treatment From Caring Doctors
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, children should be evaluated by an orthodontic specialist by age 7. Most parents leave their child’s initial evaluation relieved to know that orthodontic care and treatment can wait. However, some discover that early orthodontic treatment (also called Phase One orthodontic treatment) can significantly reduce the need for costly or more invasive treatment later in life. Phase One orthodontic treatment seeks to address issues before all permanent teeth have fully erupted. The ideal age for this differs, as it depends on your child’s developmental stage and the nature of the orthodontic problem. Our pediatric orthodontist in Friendswood, TX, can help determine your child’s needs.
Determine If Your Child Needs Early Orthodontic Care
Cases that may require early treatment include:
- Upper or lower jaw that is crooked, too wide, or too narrow
- Oral habits that can cause tooth misalignment and other problems, such as finger and thumb sucking
- Excessive tooth crowding
- Insufficient jaw space for permanent teeth to grow in
- Overly slow or fast growth of the upper or lower jaw
At Clear Choice Orthodontic Associates, you can trust that we will never recommend unnecessary orthodontic care and treatment for your child. If your child is able to wait for treatment until he or she is older, then that is what we will tell you – in fact, that is what we tell most patients who come in for their child’s initial evaluation at age 7!
If we do find that your child would benefit from early orthodontic treatment to prevent later problems, we will discuss all options and their benefits at length with you. Our goal is for you to feel confident in any treatment you choose to pursue for your child.
Benefits of Early Orthodontic Care & Treatment
When we address the types of issues listed above before the permanent teeth have grown in, we can provide a variety of potential benefits for your child, including:
- Prevent the extraction of healthy permanent teeth
- Reduce the likelihood of impacted permanent teeth
- Avoid the need for jaw surgery later in life to expand and/or align the jaws
- Minimize misaligned teeth caused by thumb sucking
- Decrease or even eliminate the need for braces
- Lower the risk of injury to protruding front teeth
- Improve developing speech
- Improve self-confidence during critical development years
- Increase the chance of success in future treatment results
In some cases, Phase One orthodontic treatment may be able to help achieve ideal results that would not otherwise be possible after a child’s permanent teeth have erupted.
Contact Our Pediatric Orthodontist in Friendswood, TX, Today!
To learn more about early orthodontic care and treatment and to find out if your child would benefit from it, schedule your child’s complimentary Dr. McLendon Smile Analysis. This package for new patients includes a complete exam and an office tour. Additionally, patients will receive x-rays and a comprehensive consultation with one of our expert Friendswood orthodontists – a $250 value, yours free! To learn more or to schedule your child’s free Dr. McLendon Smile Analysis, call 281.587.4900. To request your appointment online, click here. We look forward to meeting you!